Saturday, April 22, 2006

A Week of Supervisin'

Well, my first week went alright, but I am happy that it's the weekend. I expected this job to be much more similar to the job that I had been doing for quite some time now, but it turns out that this new schedule is much more fast paced than weekend nights! While the requirements of the job are very much alike, there are a few critical differences that make this shift much more complicated to manage than weekend nights. On weekend nights we have two days from the date that a trailer arrives in the yard to get them unloaded, on weeknights, we only have one day! We also get trailers that come in during our schedule that must be unloaded in only two hours from their scheduled arrival time. This may not sound too hard, but it takes a little getting used to! I am enjoying the challenge and I am really hoping that I will improve with practice. So far, although my nights haven't been stellar, we have accomplished all that was required of us!

My new bosses are great, both of them are being very supportive and are willing to help me learn. Next week, another guy who does the same job that I do on another shift is coming to work with me and give me some pointers to help me out. Anyway, I am still very thankful for my new job and I anticipate before too long I will really start to enjoy it!

In bike news, Jeremy passed his motorcycle riding test last Monday, and I am now sure that I am ready to pass mine! I haven't ridden too much this week, but I did go for one ride on Wednesday morning. I am still really enjoying this whole bike riding thing! I can't wait to get a bike that I can actually ride to work! I think that I might try to get one like this.



Or This



I am now sort of thinking more about the cruiser than the street bike. I would love to have a street bike, but I think the cruiser would be more practical for riding to work. Either way, I don't expect that it will happen for a while, but I would sure love to be able to buy one of those! Well, I guess that's about it for now. I hope that all of you have a good week.

10 Comments:

At 9:59 PM, Blogger Kayla said...

What exactly does a motorcycle test entail? Is there a guy riding a motorcycle next to you the whole time with a clipboard making notes, or do they just use the honor system and ask you how *you* felt it went?

 
At 5:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THERE?!?!?!?? c'mon dude, it's "their"!

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger Katie80 said...

I'm glad your first week went well. I thought it had already been 2...if it felt like 2 to me, it must have felt *super* long to you, being you were the one working it. hmm..
Anyway, did you still eat at the same place? I can picture it, but without Chord and Jon. I don't know how to spell their names.
Cool bikes. You better not get one soon or J's head might explode. :)

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Caleb said...

Exploding heads don't sound pleasant. I'm glad that your work week went well.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Auntie Eisel said...

I must say, I like the red one a lot better. I'm glad work is going well, we're praying for you!

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Justin Richardson said...

Sweet Bikes! Financing's the way to go! Enjoy your days off. I need a bike.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger CrazyUncle said...

Here's my 2 cents worth. I think it'd be more comfy long-term to get a bike that let's you sit up a little more while driving. That red one is the kind I see zooming in and out of traffic, and the dude's are always having to lean way over on it. Which ever you get, you 'll prolly want a windshield, too.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Brenda Walker said...

Oh yeah, I definitely want a windshield! I think you can buy one for those honda shadows (bottom bike). Thanks for the tips!

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Auntie Eisel said...

Oooo! Nice new picture up top.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Justin Richardson said...

Sweet song! I listened to it twice. Johnny Cash is the man. A solitary one at that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home